(Above chart courtesy of health.NY.gov)
Only physicians, nurse practitioners and physician's assistants are allowed to recommend medical marijuana.
Recommending physicians must:
- Be licensed and practicing in New York
- Be qualified to treat the serious condition
- Have complete the New York Department of Health-approved training course
- Have registered with the DOH
- Must be caring for the patients for whom they are making recommendations for, meaning that they have done a full assessment of the patients' medical histories, current medical conditions and believe that the patient will benefit from the use of medical marijuana.
- Must consult the prescription drug monitoring program and review the patient's control substances history before issuing a recommendation.
The four-hour NYSDOH approved course is now available online. The course will cost $249 to take. Successful completion of the course will provide 4.5 hours of CME credits.
The course may be accessed here: